Happy Weekend All!
I hope you’re spending it with friends, family, good food & yummy drinks! I know that summer is here & everyone is getting their summer bods ready (or if you’re like me.. you just started getting on track this week! Still working on creating my 12 week shred program if you saw that on my Insta!). It’s often hard to stay on track & make healthy choices, especially when you’re surrounded by BBQ, beers & S’mores around the campfire! I decided to create this short blog post with 5 tips you can follow to stay healthy all weekend long!
1. Make healthy choices when you can
This one can be difficult when you’re surrounded by hotdogs, chips + dip & lots of cookies! But the best thing about a BBQ with family is that there will always be something healthy for you. A fruit bowl, a veggie platter, some type of healthy protein (grilled chicken, grilled burgers, etc). Opt for the healthy choices 80% of the time & use the other 20% for at least one cookie or a small handful of chips. Moderation is key!
2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
This one is huge. Keeping a water with you at all times will keep you sippin’ all day long! Staying hydrated through the weekend will prevent you from over doing it on the cocktails & help keep the bloat down! Staying hydrated all day can prevent headaches from lack of water, keeps our joints lubricated & prevents muscle cramps.
3. Create your own healthy cocktails
This one can be fun to do with friends & family so no one will know you’re secretly trying to be healthy & take in less calories 😉 When we have beer & cocktails at restaurants or at home, it’s easy to drink our calories & overload on sugar! I’m not saying these are bad in moderation but if you’re planning to drink more than 1-2 per day, creating your own healthy cocktails at home can be healthier option! I’m linking my favorites below! The last one is a fruity drink you can buy in the liquor store, it’s my FAV when I’m trying to stay lean for the summer & focus more on my goals. But again, drinking cocktails & beer are never bad in moderation, but it’s easy to overdo it as we don’t always think about the calorie & sugar content when we’re with friends & family!
Healthy Blue Hawaiian
Low Cal Cocktails
Truly Spiked & Sparkling
4. Bring something healthy you know everyone will love
If you know that there will be no healthy options for yourself at the family BBQ, bring something to share that will help you reach your goals & that you know everyone will love. You can bring your own veggie platter, fruit bowl, fruit pizza veggie + chicken kabobs or even recommend this healthy BBQ chicken dry rub!
BBQ Chicken Dry Rub:
2tbsp stevia brown sugar
2tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced onion
1tbsp ground mustard
(Tripled recipe for 4 chicken breasts)
Bake at 375 for 20-30 min
5. Get moving!
I know the last thing you might think about while on a weekend getaway is working out. But doing something as simple as a walk or even a 20 minute yoga session will benefit your body. After lots of treats & late nights, we can begin to feel a little sluggish, but moving our bodies when we’re used to being active a couple of times per week will help our circulation, sweat out toxins, give us an energy boost & help us burn some extra cals since you know we’ll be taking in some more than usual all weekend 😉
I hope you’ve found these tips helpful & can utilize them all weekend! Remember: treats are never bad, but they shouldn’t consume our entire diet all weekend! When we get back home & back to reality on Monday, we don’t want to feel discouraged about the choices we made. We want to feel refreshed from a weekend away & feel happy we were able to balance treating ourselves while making our health a priority!